- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil, plus more for frying
- 1/2 cup diced White Onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced Garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 3 cups cooked, shredded Chicken (I've also used 2 (10oz) cans of Chicken or 1 lb of ground beef if you don't want chicken)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 can (4oz) Diced Green Chilies
- 8-10 (10 inch) Flour Tortillas, warmed
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
TOPPINGS: Salsa Verde, Sour Cream, etc
Directions: In a large, deep skillet, pour in enough vegetable oil to fill half of it. Heat at medium low heat. (This will be the oil you fry the chimichangas in.)
In a seperate large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Throw in the diced onion and saute until slightly softened. Add in garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin.Cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the shredded, cooked chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the green chilies and continue to stir and cook mixture for another 5 minutes, or until thoroughly heated. Set aside.
Warm tortillas in the microwave. On each tortilla, add about 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture into the center. Top with 2-3 tablespoons of the shredded monterey jack cheese. Fold sides over the mixture, then fold bottom over the sides and roll up I used toothpicks to secure them. Place folded chimichangas, seam side down on a large plate/platter, and repeat with remaining tortillas.
Using tongs, lower one chimichanga at a time, into the hot oil, seam side down. Fry until golden brown on both sides. This only should take a minute or two, depending on how hot your oil is.
Place deep fried chimichangas onto a paper towel lined plate to soak up grease.
REMOVE TOOTHPICKS if you use them!
Serve immediately with your favorite toppings!